Do you dream of ice skating on a frozen lake? Grabbing your hockey stick and pucks for a game of pickup? Or, teaching your children to skate for the first time in the great outdoors? Of course, you do!
The most important thing when your wanting to skate on a frozen body of water, be it a lake or pond, is safety. You need to know the thickness of the ice.
If your visiting the area, your best bet is to see what the locals are doing and ask. If the lake is full of others ice fishing, snowmobiling, walking and skating, chances are you are safe to do so too. But, it never hurts to ask the question!
Who are good people to ask about lake ice safety in the area?
- Cottage Management Agency
- Cottage owner/caretaker
- Local bait and tackle shops
When is ice not safe for activities?
- If there is moving water nearby (river, stream, etc.)
- River ice is never considered safe
- Ice on one of the five Great Lakes (or any other large lake/body of water)
- If the ice is cloudy and not clear/translucent
- Any ice less than 4 inches thick
If you don’t want to risk it, check-out a local outdoor ice rink or skating trail! They’re everywhere and we have found over 15 throughout Ontario and Quebec, all near popular cottages!
Eastern Ontario – Perth Outfitters Outdoor Ice Trail and Shinny Rink
SW Ontario/Lake Erie – Outdoor Skating Rinks in St. Thomas and Elgin County
- Christ Church – 283 Colborne St. Port Stanley, ON
- Faith Church – 345 Fairview Ave. St. Thomas, ON
- Rodney Recreation Centre – 135 Queens Line, Rodney, ON
- Straffordville Community Centre – 56169 Heritage Line, Straffordville, ON
Bruce Peninsula – McGregor Point Provincial Park Ice Skating Trail
Kawartha Lakes – Kawartha Lakes Outdoor Rinks
- Kinsman Park – 10 Patrick St. Lindsay, ON
- Manorview Park – 49 Wilson Ave. Lindsay, ON
- Springdale Gardens – 49 Champlain Blvd. Lindsay, ON
- Lions Riverview Park – 44 Georgian St. Lindsay, ON
- Victoria Park – 210 Kent St. W. Lindsay, ON
- Orchard Park – 36 Applewood Cres. Lindsay, ON
- Sylvester Park – 21 Sylvester Dr. Lindsay, ON
- Northlin Park – 150 Albert St. N. Lindsay, ON
Burnt River, ON
- Burnt River Community Centre – 16 Somerville Centre Rd. Burnt River, ON
- Tommy Anderson Park – 94 Dunn St. Bobcaygeon, ON